Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Same Basic Painting, Various Sizes

I recently did a painting of a lavender field as seen through the trees with mountains in the background. I later did a larger version of the painting and added in tall yellow grasses in the foreground with the tree limbs. I know a lot of artists today make prints or gicleés of their works. I remember that on one particular visit to Paris I went to Rodin's home and museum. I viewed his personal art collection and was surprised to see hanging on a wall a small version of "Le Dejeuner sur l'Herbe" (The Picnic) done by Edouard Manet. I had seen the full size version in the Museé d'Orsay. Perhaps the sculptor Rodin requested a smaller version for his personal collection. Anyway, if a certain painting has been well received, you can consider either painting another version of it a different size or have prints made to sell at a reduced cost. Either way, it's not unheard of to paint the same scene twice (or even more than that).
To the right you will see the photo of the painting I did two different sizes. The larger painting did sell. I just placed the smaller one online to try to sell. The only difference between the two paintings is the omission of grasses in the foreground on the smaller painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment