Saturday, April 9, 2011

Are All Artists Messy or Is It Just Me?

I promise you that I start out organized. Everything has its place. My paints, my brushes, canvases, photos, magazines, etc. all have their special place. Somehow over time my neat, well-organized work area turns into an absolute mess where disorder and disarray rule the day. Paints never seem to find their way back to their drawer. Brushes are strewn about everywhere. There are piles and piles of photos and magazine clippings and various odd and out of place items everywhere. Help! I think it is time to stop and get organized. I think I go threw this process at least twice a year. You would think I would learn to put everything back in its proper place. But no, I can't seem to be able to do it. I start out doing it but for some strange reason I think I feel more creative in a bit of clutter. Perhaps not as much clutter as I have now, but a too neat work area can be just as distracting as a too messy area. I spent one afternoon working on organizing my work station. Hopefully one more afternoon will do it and I will be in a better organized work station and be able to find my paints and brushes and other materials without too much effort.
To answer my question about artists, most of my friends who are artists tend to be a bit messy but try to put away brushes and other materials at the end of the day. One artist friend of mine who lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico can to be quite messy. She has been know to nail a piece of unstretched canvas to the wall in her studio and throw paint at it. I don't do that. At least I put newspaper around to catch the misguided drips and splatters.

No comments:

Post a Comment