Thursday, April 28, 2011

Changing Your Color Palette

Have you ever noticed certain artists using the same basic color palette consistently? I can sometimes pick out an artist whose work I am following just by their color palette. I think that lately with the particular subject matter I was painting that my color palette became very predictable. I was painting a lot of lavender fields so the color palette was various purples and blues and greens with yellow to contrast the purple fields. Now that I have started a new series of paintings I can change my color palette and that makes me extremely happy. I enjoy experimenting with color and seeing what works in each particular situation. For example, my new painting of redwoods will still use some purple, but it will be used in the dark areas of the trees and shadow areas. I am using a very subdued tint of blue for the sky in the background in order for the redwood trees to dramatically stand out. It is fun to see other colors in my color palette. I am no longer being predictable in what colors I choose to use in my paintings. Changing your color palette is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment