Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Much Ado About Nothing

When I picked up a painting and found the canvas torn I fretted and concerned myself with repairing it. Repair turned out to be easy. The rip was about one inch across and from the middle of the horizontal tear there was another rip vertically that was about an inch and a half. I thought it was going to be noticeable and difficult to repair. I searched around on the internet on how to repair the canvas. I even watched a YouTube video on how to repair. I went to an art supply store and bought a special acid free glue. The repair was so easy. I cut a patch of unpainted canvas, used the side that had no gesso applied, and applied the glue to the backside of the ripped canvas area and to the patch. I waited a few minutes to allow the glue to become tacky and then pressed the patch firmly in place. I allowed 24 hours for the glue to dry completely. The glue which was a special acid free glue actually looked like Elmer's school glue. It was white when applied and dried clear. I flipped the canvas back over to the painted side. I mixed my acrylics and repainted the damaged area only. I have attached a close-up of the repaired area. I cannot find the torn and repaired area at all. Success! It was much ado about nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment