Monday, July 4, 2011

Analyze This

Way back in the olden days, when I was in college and majoring in art, my professors would take our drawings or paintings and put them up on the wall and we would analyze or critique them. Well, I am to that point with my painting. I could say it is finished. It is a nice little painting, but like my sister says, it lacks that WOW factor. I think that I possibly overworked it. So, looking at the painting, how can I fix it? How can I bring some drama back into the painting? I selected this particular composition because it was dramatic. A mistake I possibly made was altering the lighthouse because of the optical illusion that it was leaning. Well, I've decided to keep the lighthouse as it is and "de-clutter" the composition. I think that when I make more of a contrast using dark purples and yellows in the cliff and take the sky and remove some of the clouds and simplify things, I will like it much better. I also want to emphasize the winding road and the winding shoreline. I added some white to some areas in the road and cliff. I will remove the white and add the yellow back in, which was much more effective.  So, the painting is nearly finished, but after analysis, there is still some work left to do. Don't skip this process of analysis of your work. Try to look at it objectively. Your work will improve if you can learn to view with a critical eye and make the adjustments that are needed.
Painting thus far, "sans" the corrections, can be seen below.

No comments:

Post a Comment