Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chaos vs Order

I tend to be a bit messy in my work area. If everything is in its place it appears too sterile an environment. From time to time I have to organize the chaos a little. I was reminded of this when I recently watched Lust For Life about Van Gogh. Van Gogh while living in Arles was quite prolific in his work. He painted many, many works and his canvases were strewn about everywhere. When his brother Theo had Paul Gauguin come join him, Gauguin was appalled at Van Gogh's working environment. They had different personalities and different ideas about how an artist's studio should be kept. Gauguin liked everything in its place and liked to think about everything before committing to canvas and preferred working indoors. Van Gogh liked to paint outside and liked to try to capture the emotion of what he was painting and was he anything other than neat and orderly. When my work environment gets too chaotic, then I straighten up (a little). Too neat and orderly does not work for me. It stifles my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment