Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Work Schedule

I don't have any particular work schedule. I don't punch a time clock anymore. Thank goodness! 28 years was enough of that. But I do feel a need to paint on a fairly regular basis. Painting more often improves my technique. There are some painters who paint every day. There are others who actually complete an entire painting in a day. If I had a completed painting everyday, I would not have the space to keep them, assuming that they did not all sell. Can you imagine 365 paintings in a year? That's being quite prolific. And would the thought of being required to paint every day, whether you feel like it or not, take the pleasure out of the whole experience. I paint when I can. My whole day is not controlled by the thought that I must paint. Now I do paint often, but am not concerned if I skip a day here or there. That's life. I go through periods of drought, doing very little and feeling nonproductive. Then there are periods of time that I paint and paint and paint and produce a lot of work and am constantly full of ideas and experimenting with my ideas and different techniques. So, for the days that I don't sit in front of an easel, I forgive myself. I know the reasons that I paint are much more than monetary and I will be pulled back in front of the canvas when inspiration woes me and beckons me with her seductive voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment