Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Honing Your Technique

I have noticed that over the years I have been able to hone and sharpen my painting technique, especially when it comes to painting lavender fields and landscapes in impressionism. I first cover the canvas with color, creating an under-painting on which to build. I then create the darks, shadows and the lights. That way there is a depth of color and things don't appear flat. I loosen up my brushstrokes and add more color and finish off with detail in several areas. I try to spread a lot of the same color around to make your eye move through the painting. I also add a little of the opposite color on the color wheel to items painted in the distance to help to mute then and make them neutral in tone and color. Below you will see the progress on my new lavender field painting. I still have to work on the farm building but this photo still gives you a good idea of my process of painting. Enjoying the process. Enjoying the result.


No comments:

Post a Comment